Thursday, January 20, 2011

Simple Words...

I meant to write this post a couple weeks ago, but I am finally getting to it!

I think sometimes people don't know what to say when someone is having a tough time.  You get confused, don't want to say the wrong thing.  Sometimes, the simplest words are all that need to be said.  For example...

I was having a tough time at work about something.  All of a sudden everything just caught up with me- everything from being reminded of some negative experiences in my life to the magnitude of seriously evil social injustices going on in the world.  I got so overcome with emotion that I had to step out to my car and sit there and cry for a good 10 minutes.  Later a co-worker said to me, "Kelli I support you" when we were talking about it.  Those words were also said frequently at Rosewood to express support when someone was having a hard time, or even having a great time!  Support needs to be expressed in hard and good times. 

Sometimes those words are the best things to say, and exactly what needs to be heard.  It was in that situation.  So when someone is going through something tough or a challenging situation and you just aren't sure what to say, say those simple words "I support you."  It will have a much bigger effect on the person than you may realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment